A type of private network which an enterprise company uses to connect its branches is known as an enterprise private network. The initial networking was made possible in the 1970s by AT&T.
Enterprise private network can be made in various ways that include:-
- Virtual private network (VPN)
- Local area network (LAN)
- Wide area network (WAN)
- Cloud-based network
The purpose of EPN is to have high-speed internet and data sharing within an organization. Companies can use Wi-Fi within their offices to share the internet and resources. Also, routers, switches, fiber optics, virtual devices, and modems are used in making this type of private network.
Security is also an important issue in making the enterprise network. There are placed different firewalls near access points to have the secure transfer of data among computers. The high speed of data transfer can be made using fiber optics. If different branches of the company are very close to each other then LAN is best for making the private network. But if branches of the company are far away from each other then WAN is a better choice. If WAN is used to make a private network then a dedicated leased line is given by ISP to connect different branches of the company.
Making an enterprise network also involves secure sharing of data that is done by using cloud-based services. Employees of the company can store their data on cloud-based servers. Data is placed securely on the cloud and can be retrieved 24/7.
VPN also plays an important role in making a private network. People across the organization securely communicate with one another. The special IP is assigned to each user and the original IP is not shared with other users. The data is also encrypted before sending it on the streamline.
Features of Enterprise private network (EPN)
Some benefits of EPN are:-
- EPN has higher security than other types of public networks
- EPN uses cloud storage for storing and retrieval of data
- The messages are encrypted before sending
- It is best for business users
- Different offices are centralized together through EPN
- This network is scaled up quickly without a lot of expense
- EPN is cost-effective for big companies
Examples of Enterprise private network (EPN)
- Connecting different shops of the company
- Communication network between head office and remote office of the company
- Connecting hospital branches from different cities together
- Sharing of data like live videos among different university campuses