Definition of hybrid app
A hybrid app uses the same codebase for creating iOS and android apps. These apps run in a native container and have access to the device camera and accelerometer. The hybrid app uses components of both web apps and native apps.
The hybrid apps are downloaded from the relative app stores i.e. Google play store or Apple app store. These apps run on the native browser of the mobile device. The hybrid app has features of a native app that can help to communicate with the hardware of the device.
These apps are developed more quicker than native apps. The developers who build hybrid apps cost you less.
Hybrid apps run as native apps and you will not feel that they are hybrid apps or native apps.
These apps can also run offline and uses local storage of the device to store data. When the app is reconnected to the internet then that local data is uploaded to the app server.
Features of hybrid app
Some features of a hybrid app are:-
- Hybrid apps are faster to develop than native apps.
- It is easy to share hybrid apps on the internet. You can share links to hybrid apps from the app store.
- They have cross-platform compatibility. Hybrid apps are developed with the same codebase and converted to iOS and android.
- Hybrid apps have low maintenance costs because they have the same codebase.
- They can be integrated with analytics tools and gather user data easily.
- These apps can work offline and data can be stored locally.
- It is a cost-effective way to develop hybrid apps.
- They can access device hardware like a camera, accelerometer and GPS through APIs.
- These apps can adapt to different screen sizes. For example, the same hybrid app can be displayed on tablets and smartphones.
- Hybrid apps use push notifications to keep users engaged and inform users about app activity.
Hybrid app languages
Languages that are used to develop android apps are:-
Frameworks of hybrid apps
Popular frameworks used for hybrid app development are:-
- React Native
- Sencha Touch
- Appcelerator Titanium
- Progressive Web Apps (PWA)
Examples of hybrid apps
Some examples of hybrid apps are:-
- Amazon App Store
- Remote POS
- Southwest Airlines